Tuesday, May 31, 2016

My chemo is rescheduled for next week

because I will have surgery on Monday. They are going to remove my uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries.

I visited my gyn onc this morning. Her nurse was very nice--and sugary sweet. The gyn onc was perfunctory. She felt the mass on my left ovary and then excused herself. Because of the kindness and efficiency, I could tell the news wasn't going to be good.

The gyn onc returned to tell me the next steps: surgery. She said the mass didn't feel like a circular waterballoon which is the shape and texture of typical benign cyst. If the mass is cancerous, my chemo treatment will be different.

Earlier in the morning I had my blood drawn for the genetic mutation test because at 45 years old, I'm very young for breast cancer. They will run tests for the BRCA and eight other genes that increase the risk for breast and ovarian cancers. Unfortunately, the results won't be available for three weeks.

Trying to remove the mass without taking the uterus is risky. The potentially cancerous mass could rupture and "seed" the cancer to other areas. The uterus becomes a neat little bag to pull it in.

The gyn onc could place the mass in another type of bag and smash it up before removing it (gross, I know). But if my genetic mutation results come back positive, I would have to undergo a second surgery.

A simple biopsy isn't so simple. Ovarian masses have a greater tendency to give false negatives. And certain areas of the biopsy might draw liquid which isn't helpful.

The easiest surgery for my body is to go through the vagina. The gyn onc will have to cut a hole through my uterus to get to the mass thereby destroying my uterus. Might as well use it as a take-out bag. And, heck, throw in the fallopian tubes while you're at it. It eliminates the need for a potential second surgery.

This is what you call a clusterfuck.

I was stunned this morning but I'm ready to move forward. I need the chemo.

The surgery will last three hours. I will be discharged later that day. It will be performed laparoscopically with little robotic arms. The mass will be immediately analyzed once its removed while I'm still on the table. If it's cancerous, the robot arms will go back in and remove other cancerous areas (but according to the scans, the mass looks localized and the surrounding lymph nodes are not inflamed). And yes, all of this will be performed through my vagina.

I'm being mugged by a goddam robot.

6 comments:

  1. There are just no words for this D. I am just so happy that you found that mass on your breast when you did. This is one rabbit hole huh? Fuck. Whatever you need, even if you don't even know what you need, I am here. We are all here, your little personal army waiting for you to order us around. This part will be behind you soon enough and then you have the bright side, no more periods! I know that is stupid, but even better, no more girl parts in that area in which cancer can grow! You are super strong, but even the strongest would be challenged by this robotic action. Hang tough my dear warrior chick, we love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you, big big hugs, and hope you recover quickly from this surgery as you prepare for chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That effing cancer doesn't know who it's dealing with! Stay strong and know we're all cheering you on. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. i realize i have been making comments but not sure they were showing up,
    will try again
    tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..terrible what you are having to endure, but you are doing the right thing fighting this proactively/aggressively. I am assuming you are getting a frozen section performed by a pathologist during your surgery. There is a type of tumor that they may recommend having your appendix removed too. Be brave soldier. Let us know what we can do. I am around all day monday and can help out with anything. thoughts and prayers are going out...but seriously, call me for anything..i'm here to help and steve is here to give his pathology/cancer advice. xo tanya and steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. What spirit, Denise. What standards of courage and knowledge you set. Farm share triple blessed. Love, more love.

    ReplyDelete