Friday, May 20, 2016

Today I met my breast surgeon and oncologist.


They gave me my plan. Our lives will change on June 1st with my first chemo infusion.

Before that, there's work to be done. I'm scheduled for surgery to insert my port-a-cath for my infusions. I am also scheduled for a CT scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvis. Afterward, I'll receive a bone scan. And I'm going to have breast gamma imaging done, too.

All of this will determine whether or not the cancer has moved into my lymph nodes and/or other areas of my body. It will also determine if there's a hereditary gene that caused the cancer. From the ultrasound done last week, it doesn't appear that the cancer has spread to my lymph nodes, however the other scans are far better at detecting little bits of cancer floating around.

The oncologist described five basic types of breast cancer similar to individual personalities. They all behave differently and therefore require different treatment. The type of cancer I have is called Triple Negative. It does not feed off estrogen or progesterone. Nor is it Her-2 positive (hence the Triple Negative).

Triple Negatives have a high growth rate. My tumor is considered Stage II. It measures 4.1 cm. Tumors under 2 cm are Stage I. My prior mammograms have been very helpful in determining my breast behavior and the tumor's rate of growth. In fact, my priors (mammograms and general blood work) have been brought up a lot.

Triple Negative cancers respond favorably to chemotherapy--or I should say, chemotherapy is this type of cancer's kryptonite. I will undergo eight cycles of chemo with two different cocktails of drugs.

The first round will consist of four cycles (once every two weeks) of Adriamycin and Cytoxan. This will last roughly two months.

The second round will consist of four cycles broken into 12 weekly infusions of Paclitaxel and Carboplatin. Weekly infusions will minimize the side effects of these drugs. This will last roughly three months.

Naturally, there are a lot of side effects. I will feel increasingly tired throughout the course of my treatment. And--as you might suspect--I will lose my hair.

So in order to counteract some of these side effects, I'm taking full advantage of the offerings both clinics provide. In the chemo clinic, I will receive weekly massages and acupuncture. And I'll schedule some time with a naturopath. In the breast clinic, my goal is to take their pilates and meditation classes if I'm not too fatigued. And perhaps their art class, too.

After the chemo, I'll be scheduled for surgery. It's still to early to determine what will be done.

Sadly, this whole process leaves me checked out my family. But I need to get better in order to move forward. It will be a rough, long marathon and I don't suspect I'll be anywhere back to "normal" until 2017.

Let's do this thing!

11 comments:

  1. Shit. I don't know what to say other than we're thinking of you. I have always admired your focus and resolve when you put your mind to things. That will be very helpful for you through this ordeal. Honestly it feels like you've got this, even though you don't want it.

    Again, much love to you and the family. Tell Jason if you need anything at all I'm here. He (or you, or your mom or Shars or Marsha or whoever) can call any time. I'll have quite a lot of free time come mid June. Shopping, rides, whatever. Put me on the list of people who want to help. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, what to say. I am super duper bummed to hear this diagnosis. As a fellow breast cancer fighter, i can tell you that it is hard, but you are strong and you are going to kick this fucker to the curb and come out stronger than when you started. You are a fighter, one black satin boxing glove, hardcore warrior bitch and this cancer is going to be sorry it ever moved into your tit! I am here always, got lots of tips. One great resource i wanted to share is breastcancer.org, great forums on there, here is one in IDC: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/96

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always admired your energy, strength and dedication Denise and believe that this is what will get you and your family through this crisis.I appreciate your blog very much - facts keep fear at bay. I am gone in July otherwise here in Portland to help. Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so mad for Denise. Please feel free to give her my email and cell (503) 200-4965. I'd recommend a meal train, particularly for post-surgery as something that is easy to set up and gives her friends an immediate way to help. There are several sites that do this. I'm in bed now, but will send you some links tomorrow from my computer. I can connect her with other mom BC survivors once she's at a place where she wants to chat/vent/hear other experiences. Fucking cancer. :(

    Molly Lindquist | Founder & CEO | www.consano.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. molly@consano.org

      Delete
    2. Here are a couple of the sites I know of for meal/help planning:

      http://lotsahelpinghands.com/
      https://www.takethemameal.com/

      Again, please feel free to share my contact info.
      xo

      Molly Lindquist | Founder & CEO | Consano | @ConsanoMolly | www.consano.org

      Delete
  5. Denise--can't tell you how sorry we are that you are facing this diagnosis. Hope you know how much we all love you and that we are ready to help with anything you need.
    Marcia and Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise,

    Thank you so much for the update. I am really impressed by the alternative offerings in the clinics - Portland ROCKS!

    As before, please let me and everyone else know how WE can help best you and your family so that YOU have that energy to take advantage of the massages, acupuncture, etc. They sound really, really good.

    Love and Light,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. For my darling Denise----It's great to hear that your medical team has a plan in place for your recovery. And your domestic team of friends and family is ready to go into action as well, while your Canadian family sends love and lots of positive energy from afar. With all of us and your courage, strength and determination........ Let's get to it, indeed!!!
    Love, Shars

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know if you want to get a list of playdates after school for Nigel. I can help organize as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big hugs, Denise. My friend Julie just completed her treatment for triple negative breast cancer. She called me last July saying, "I have a rough road ahead." And she did. But...fast forward 10 months and she is ROCKING IT. She is back to work flying around the world as an American Airlines int'l flight attendant. She feels great. And NO cancer. Her hair has grown back in the fashion of Annie Lennox circa 1984. Love it! I'm sure you are getting many people saying, "I have a friend who survived cancer..." but if you'd like to be in touch with Julie (she lives in Wilmington, DE) since she literally just went through what you're going thru w/triple negative, I'm happy to connect you two. Much love, my friend. XOXO Brian

    ReplyDelete