Thursday, May 26, 2016

I am now part Borg Queen.



I had my port-a-cath surgery yesterday. It was relatively quick, about an hour. But considering pre-op and post-op recovery, I was at the hospital for four hours.

My breast surgeon is such a sweet and loving doctor (thank you for the referral, Frances!). She likes to give lots of hugs. Pre-surgery, she marked my port site with two purple hearts. And while I was going under, she sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to me until I fell asleep.

When I was in recovery, the nurse told me that my port site would feel like I had been kicked by a horse. That's about right. And if you can't envision what it's like to have a horse kick you, you can probably understand what it's like to have your front shoulder whacked by a metal crowbar. The pain is big, deep and burns.

The nurse says I'm supposed to turn a corner by tomorrow. I'll hold that thought tightly next to my little purple hearts.





5 comments:

  1. It's a relief to hear some good news that the cancer has not spread. Now just imagine the tumor being kicked by the horse and kicked right out of your body. Love your sense of humor. It's truly one of your strengths. Humor helps to heal. It helps those of us who are waiting on the sidelines too. Keep it up.-----an option for scheduling grandparents - just send Nigel's activities and apps. to Marcia and me. We can work out the follow-up together and report back if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise--I love and respect and admire you so much. (Add to last entry)
    Shars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, thanks so much for the updates.
    Love and Light, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purple Hearts. She sounds overly and brilliant.

    ReplyDelete