Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Infusion 2

Descending into the chemo tunnel is like walking into a concrete sewer line: the rotting muck, the stench, the dank air. It's dark inside and there's no way to find light. At some point, the tunnel slowly decreases in size until I'm on my hands and knees, my face inches away from the stagnant ammonia and shit, forced to crawl forward because there's nothing else to do.

Yesterday, I was on my hands and knees.

And yet, I can feel the tunnel give way. I know I'll emerge from it soon, allowing for some respite. I won't be entirely whole. I've been beaten. I'll be fatigued. But I'm hopeful that a bit of my personality will come up for air and I'll feel like me. Right now, I'm a shell.

I don't wish this on anyone.

And yet... it's working. When I first discovered my tumor, it was the size of a golfball. It felt like it had grown larger in the month that it took for the biopsy, scans, consults and surgery--perhaps to the size of a small apricot. After three weeks of chemotherapy, my tumor feels like a large marble.

After my first infusion, I laid in bed awake at night and felt the occasional sharp stab in my left breast. It was almost as fascinating as a first pregnancy, the imperceptible changes going on inside my body of which only I was keenly aware. The stabs were absent with this second infusion, replaced by tingles. It's working.

I share these images for you. I cannot look at them. They make me gag.









5 comments:

  1. "They that had fought so well
    Came thro' the jaws of Death
    Back from the mouth of Hell"

    Denise, you are an amazing fighter, and you are beating this. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They that had fought so well
    Came thro' the jaws of Death
    Back from the mouth of Hell"

    Denise, you are an amazing fighter, and you are beating this. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're rocking the bald thing! Does Jason feel he's living with a sane version of Sinéad O'Connor? :)

    Just a quick hello to let you know we're thinking of you and sending out big, great vibes and intentions your way.
    B+W

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so know that tunnel! It's amazing when you come out the other end though. There is nothing like chemo, it is amazing though how it shrinks the dang thing. That is so awesome that you can feel it! You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look pretty damn cute for crawling down a sewer pipe!! This could be a future cosmetic line cause you look fabulous!! AND, by the way, that’s not to diminish the shit hole you’re crawling through to get to the other side. Shield and sword, shield and sword!!......Love and light

    ReplyDelete