Wednesday, June 15, 2016

I accidentally bit the side of my mouth

two days ago. One of those bad ones that ends with a crunch. I just hope things heal before my body is unable to fight it (oy, mouth sores, stay away!).

And to top it off, Nigel woke up really sick Tuesday morning. Fever, chills, congestion, earache (he has never had an ear infection before). The entire week's activities have been wiped clean. He's at home in bed, moaning and hobbling to use the downstairs bathroom because he cannot use mine. Meanwhile, my white blood cell count is tanking, so I yell from my room to his, "Drink your water!" He yells back when he needs something. And on very rare occasions, I enter his room to give him toast, ply him with more water, or help with his covers (and then immediately wash my hands).

Meanwhile Jason has a business to run and I urge him to leave. In the middle of the night, he gets up to tend to Nigel. This is epic. And so unnecessary. We're a sad, sorry crew.

And there's nothing anyone can do except feel helpless. Nigel needs to get better with quiet and rest. Period. And perhaps parents can be more socially responsible for their sick kids. That's all there is to do. 

But an ear infection? Really??? When does a nearly 12-year old get an ear infection for the first time in his life??? Nigel just recovered from the flu two and a half weeks ago.

Just keep your fingers crossed that I don't catch it. In the meantime, we feel your love and support. Now stay away!











7 comments:

  1. Oh I so can relate to all this. Love the photo of your nausea meds list. Know it well, although the compazine never did anything for me. I personally only take the Ativan at night, it puts me right to sleep! And yes, tell all those sick people to stay away! Yay for happy thought and beautiful gifts! And horay for one down and only 3 more of this first cycle to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a dance, so many small and big things to balance. I know you're a good dancer, maybe this helps. I hope that when you are diving into all those good bedside books (glad we are experiencing the Mad Woman together), you can turn off the spinning wheel of considerations for some minutes at a time (until of course you feel nauseated, have to swill snot, tend to Nigel, check your temp, ponder mouth sores, face simultaneous desire/repulsion, have chemo, detox, tox...). When you are ready for Reiki, I am your gal. I did this for part of my clinical internship year in oncology at Yale New Haven. Whenever germy friends are allowed in. Hugs and a big smooch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Denise,
    So sorry Nigel is sick again!
    Two questions: 1)are you able to make yourself those smoothies for breakfast? 2) do you think Nigel would like the taste of them? 3) once Nigel is better, do you think he might be willing to take over the breakfast duty to make the anti-cancer smoothies for BOTH of you?

    If we have three "Yes" answers, this would help you BOTH: you as we discussed already and Nigel (which means, YOU, again) to hopefully get superman breakfast when you are no longer able to make it for him the way you did before.
    And if you want me to come over to show Nigel how to make smoothies for both of you, I am more than happy to. Just text. We will be off to the coast for a few days but back in town towards end of this week. My kids are not sick but I would leave them home, of course. And I have not been had a cold for a few years now so truly germ free, pretty safe to hang out with. Let me know.
    Love and Light,

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the typos, typing in a hurry and don't see a way to edit.

      Delete
  4. With all the shit hitting the fan....a “share” with hope and light!!!
    I walk 3 x a week (sometimes 4+). Tuesday while walking with a colleague I was telling her of your cancer dx. and current regimented life. Just as I told her of my concern and worry for you...we stopped momentarily. At which point a beautiful Monarch butterfly rose up from the grass next to my feet and fluttered off. I don’t know whether you are familiar with the mythology of butterflies, but, it is said, they bring good luck, health, and happiness! I believe this was meant for you so I’m sending it forward to you Denise. It was such a special moment, I’ve not seen any butterflies this year yet and to have that Monarch rise up out of seemingly no where was mystical.
    Love and Light, Good health and Happiness
    Auntie S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that, Sandra!
      Love and Light with the Monarch Butterfly!

      Julia

      Delete
  5. Denise you can still make me laugh even during this awful week that is hopefully behind you now.
    My mom went through the whole surgery, chemo, & radiation chapter for breast cancer many years ago and she claimed laughter was her BEST MEDICINE and she ultimately became a survivor. I hope you can try and laugh between the tears during this awful time D. A family friend wrote a book called " A Walk Down Mammary Lane" when she was going through a similar awful time - It will appear at your door soon - sure to make you laugh! well..... maybe at least smile a bit. Love you! rebecca

    ReplyDelete