Saturday, June 11, 2016

Infusion 1

I had my first chemo infusion three days ago. Three days down. 109 days to go. It feels like this will last forever.

The first infusion was uneventful. I had to take a bunch of meds: Emend, Deccadron and Zofran beforehand. They prevent nausea and vomiting. Also, since this was my very first time, they gave me an anti-anxiety med (bonus!). Perhaps it was the combination of all those drugs, but I felt buzzy and loopy and then passed out. I slept through the infusion of both my Adriamycin and Cytoxan. The nurse woke me up to say I tolerated them well and I looked over at Jason's smiling face in the chair across from me.

Adriamycin is known as the "Red Devil." The toilet bowl looked like a basin of tropical punch after my first pee post treatment. Both chemo drugs have a number of side effects that need constant monitoring.

I have to drink at least 10-12 glasses of water per day to get the poisons out of my system. And if I hold my pee for too long, they will burn my bladder and I will pee blood. It will look like coffee grounds on the bottom of the toilet. I have a one-liter Mason jar filled with water that I keep on the windowsill by my bed. Once I've drank its entire contents, I fill it up again. I know I've drank 12 glasses of water when I've dusted that jar three times.

I have to brush my teeth with a soft toothbrush and rinse and gargle with a homemade concoction of salt and baking soda--basically, runny snot--after every food I eat. My mouth needs to stay very clean or else I will get mouth sores. Ironically, flossing might cause gums to bleed and create sores. But since I'm an avid flosser (hey, gold star!), my gums are pretty tough. I will continue flossing until I have a reason to quit.

My white blood cells are going to plummet in a few days. To counteract this, I am given an injection to trigger white blood cell growth the following day after chemo. This production of white blood cells comes with it's own side effect--bone aches. For whatever reason, Claritin (yes, the allergy med) seems to alleviate this. Even though I took the Claritin, my hips and legs felt flu-ish for two days.

I have to take my temperature every day. If it gets above 100.5, I need to notify my doctor and go to the emergency room. Even if my temperature is normal but I suddenly feel unwell, I need to call my doctor. My risk of infection is high. Naturally, I have to wash my hands frequently and stop picking my skin. Any open wound risks infection in my body.

Currently, the chemo treatment feels like a really bad pregnancy--except I'm both mother and babe. I can't stand to be around cooking foods, I have cravings and I'm repulsed by things that I ate a few hours before. I need to lay down and rest, however, it's very important to stay active and move. I'm constantly monitoring my input and output: what I've consumed, what has come out, how much I weigh. After I've eaten something, I run upstairs to brush my teeth and rise with the snotty swill. Mouth sores! If I've forgotten to drink my water, I take giant swigs from the Mason jar. Coffee grounds! Do I have any nicks on my skin? Was I chewing the inside of my mouth? Am I holding my pee too long in the middle of the night?

I'm a fragile vessel. The countdown continues: 109 days to go.








5 comments:

  1. So glad your first chemo went relatively well. All the routine and precautionary measures will become second nature before too long, The chemo room looks like the dialysis unit Frank frequented three times a week for nine month. Thinking of you and sending lots of love. We're here if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    Hang in there! And remember those smoothies. You can cut it down to just 3 ingredients (protein powder, coconut milk and ginger root (remember you already have ginger pieces cut up in your freezer, just throw in a piece per smoothie).

    When you feel better, you can incorporate more of what we talked about. But just those 3 will be plenty. And REALLY good.

    Love and Light,

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds about right. It gets easier once your body learns the rhythm of it. Yes, chemo has a rhythm. You go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the force be with you little one! Also, remember the “shield fern”!!
    Powerful love
    Auntie S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, When you go in for the next infusion ask the nurse for ice chips and suck on them. Suck on something cold (ice chips, popsicle, etc) the entire time you are having the infusion. The chemo doesn't like cold and will stay away from your mouth. Jay never got one mouth sore using this technique. Good luck, hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete