Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Books Read During Hysterectomy/Oophorectomy

Since some of you have been interested in my reading list, here’s what I read during the three week period right after I was diagnosed with breast cancer and during my hysterectomy/oophorectomy before chemo:

1. Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
I didn’t know this book only focused on Jobs as a person. I wanted to learn more about the Apple culture which was rarely mentioned (and there are so many great stories out there). However, it was still a good book, never stale. You learn about Job’s reality distortion field, his intense perfectionism and his wacky eating disorders. The moral of the story: in order to create an innovative product that changes the world, you need to be a whole lot of crazy. 

2. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
This writer had me at her second collection of short stories, Unaccustomed Earth. Oh. My. God. The Namesake is absorbing and really good but it's not Unaccustomed Earth,.  

3. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

This was her first collection of short stories and it won the Pulitzer Prize. They are great. But read them before you settle into Lahiri's matured writing of Unaccustomed Earth which is beyond stellar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment