Sunday, November 13, 2016

Wow.

There is nothing else to say.

(Except that we have a sexual predator and racist demagogue who questions our democratic process for President).

Jason forwarded me this which explains the cultural divide in our country. It helped. Perhaps it will help you, too.

There has been so much going on in the past five months since I've been lost in la-la faerie land: mass shootings, creepy clowns and now a new President who didn't win the popular election. One breast cancer survivor told me I'd lose and gain friends and family over my diagnosis. I've experienced some rough times in my life, so I thought I had it all figured out: Of course. I've been through this before. But it's always shocking when someone decides to behave badly.

Yesterday while I was driving through the hospital's parking garage, a man in his late 50's tried to walk in front of me. As I passed by, he yelled and swung his arms in the air and hollered that I was stupid. There was so much anger on his face. I don't like that sort of behavior but even more so after this election because, quite honestly, he looked and acted like a quintessential Trump supporter. Throughout my life, I've been blamed by older white men and I've been groped and now that I've gone through chemo, I have had enough. So while I was driving past his angry face, I rubbed my bald head, pointed at it and then flipped him off. It's cancer, so back off motherfucker! Now we both had behaved badly.

Nigel was in the back seat. "Whoa," he said. And then we howled with laughter at the man's stupidity and mine, too.

Hardship is a mirror. It reflects the true character of the surrounding people. And our family has been blessed to receive so much unconditional love and support.

For starters, we didn't cook for five months! Five months. June, July, August, September and October. At first, Nigel was really upset. He likes my cooking. For him, it's a deep connection to motherhood and love and a cozy home. But everyone cooked and baked with so much effort and care, that the transition was seamless.

So many people were dealing with major life issues and yet they still wanted to give. One recently single mom with four young children went out of her way to make us a casserole. She couldn't even make a double batch (one for us, one for her) because her kids don't like mixed foods.

Another mom calls her three kids "a bunch of little fuckers" because none of them like the same meals. However, she diligently made us weekly dinners in addition to all the specialized meals she had to cook for her lovable effers.

And then there's the creativity of the gifts received. One family traveled through Spain this summer--and lit a candle for me in every church they visited. Imagine all those little glowing candles in all those little churches.

I've received a necklace of healing stones, a heart-shaped rock found in Italy, snails (yes, snails!) and three special blankets each with their own story.

There have been care packages for me, care packages for Nigel and special outings with the guys for Jason. Not to mention all the playdates and overnighters for Nigel. There has been yard work and body work and planted ferns. Homemade perfumes, essential oils and every kind of protein powder imaginable. Loaner wigs and a gifted wig, two hats and a robe. A cashmere cape, one scarf and a pair of socks. And books! A ton of books. And gift certificates and a spa invitation and beautiful indoor plants. Also, the flowers... In the past six months, there has only been one week where our kitchen counter did not have a bouquet on it.

Not to mention all the kind words. Words hold so much power. All the loving texts and phone calls (I had to turn off my phone's ringer and haven't turned it on since--this is a good thing). All the emails, so many emails. And, of course, the cards.

There has been so many stop, rewind and do-overs. So many, Yes! Come over! And many more, Please, don't! And through it all, everyone has been so considerate and kind.

I've posted pictures of some of these tokens of love, partly as a reminder for myself but mostly to thank all of you. It shows how caring people truly are. Even though we might experience appalling behavior, creepy clowns, mass shootings and a President whose rhetoric eerily reminds historians of the budding Nazi movement, the majority of us are a considerate, loving bunch. It's deep within us, this core of humanity, this tender essence of who we are. What we hold seems so fragile, but it is rugged and strong. And yes, there are always exceptions, but for the most part, human beings are beautiful--and robust and tenacious and ready to claw into with bloodied hands those inalienable rights for ourselves and for others and never let go.

Do not give up hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment