Friday, October 7, 2016

Infusions 9 & 10

I’m having a difficult time keeping up with all the public shootings. I emerge from my chemo haze to hear about riots in Charlotte from another police shooting and a child shot and killed by another child (and his funeral of superhero-costumed classmates). It’s all so tragic.

And now we have clowns???!!! Clowns piled into cars, armed with guns and chainsaws, clowns attempting to abduct children and descend upon schools, clowns robbing fast-food restaurants, clowns terrorizing people with horns and gun emojis. And the public’s response: police arresting clowns and interrogating children who have sighted them, moms kicking clowns, schools closing to avoid clown attacks, mobs armed with golf clubs, hockey sticks and shovels to hunt down clowns.

One clown posted a photo of himself holding a sign in front of an Oregon school. The sign was succinct and ominous: “We are here.” And indeed they have arrived on the West Coast. I received an email from Portland Public Schools two days ago. The school district stated that they are working with the Portland Police Bureau to monitor the situation and—most importantly— that social media is not the best source of information. Imagine that. 

But in what world are public shootings normalized and clowns are not? And how am I missing all of this??? 

So many major events and life changes have occurred since I began chemo in the spring. It feels like everyone's lives have been fast-forwarded on a hyper-speed film reel, people jumping and scooting around like harried stick figures; the sun and moon arcing through the sky like the second hand of a clock; the shadows of clouds billowing and evaporating dramatically across rooftops, parks and trees; Portland's flowers synchronized together, opening and closing to mark each day.

Meanwhile, I move in slow-motion, standing in the bathroom naked and hairless. I look into the mirror with heavy lids and a slack jaw and pull a single hair off my sparse brow. It rests on my fingertip and I blink. I sluggishly turn my finger over and watch that part of my eyebrow fall into the sink.

Then all of a sudden, everything outside is brown and yellow and wet.

Infusions 9 and 10 were reduced doses of Taxol. I'm still neutropenic but able to have chemotherapy until my neutrophils go below 800. I was at 600 when I had to take a break. I will receive the regular dose when my neutrophils increase up to 1,500. I'm currently at 1,100.

With this second half of my treatment, the nurses give me Benadryl just in case I have an allergic reaction to the drugs. In some of the pictures my eyes are droopy and my smile is crooked because I'm completely high. And in others, we simply (ahem) clowned around. Don't report us to the authorities!












5 comments:

  1. Denise, I am not undergoing chemo but it is YOUR blog that I am learning about the recent shootings from first... PLEASE don't feel like you have to be tied to the yucky news. Especially right now. See you on the traila! Love and Light,my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for the multiple posts: crazy phone posting time! Forest trails are better:-)! Hugs again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always had a strong dislike of clowns so this whole thing is extra creepy. I did see "Clown Lives Matter" protests popping up, which is pretty hilarious! I love your pictures. Sending positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings blessings blessings, Denise. Let's see if this will post. For some reason, I hit publish and the words vanish. Maybe it's a good thing. I check your blog regularly for new installments. You write so well. Your perspectives are always breath-taking. It is so informative. I always want to leave a comment, just so you know I read your post. I'm always stuck for meaningful words though, what meaningful words can I share when you are exploring the meaning of life in full every day? Loads of love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right in the thick of it. Darkest before the dawn was so true for me! Hang in there sister!! And above all rock on like the bald sloth that you are!!!

    ReplyDelete