Friday, July 15, 2016

When I was 10 years old,

I remember seeing a photo of a woman who was so striking, I gasped. It wasn't because she was
pretty--after all, she was the antithesis of my Barbies--but I was entranced.




Her boldness, her blackness, her androgyny.


Her absolute pride in who she was. 




I was spellbound.

I continued to seek new photos of this person, and each time I found another, I would stare. She was utterly captivating. She didn't batt her eyelashes, behave meekly or apologize. When I played with my Barbies, that's all they did.

I had heard part of the news last week but wasn't able to fully comprehend what had happened until I came out of my tunnel.

I had originally sent this song to the newly married husbands, but in addition to our LGBQ community, it needs to be dedicated to our African-Americans, people of color and police officers who serve with justice and keep us safe. Also, to Diamond Reynolds who showed the world something we needed to see.

When I first heard this song, I was in a club in Tokyo. I was with a group of Japanese, French, Italian, English, Swedish, Australian, Irish and American people. Some were gay, some were black, some were brown. We all went nuts, dancing and hugging each other's sweaty bodies--especially the French who sang along to the lyrics. At that moment, we all fell a little in love with this stunning woman.

Someone commented that she needs to be singing it from the mountaintops. I'll go one step further. She's on top of her mountain and stands 200 feet tall. She's God. And she's singing and crying to her children about love.

And she looks damn beautiful with barely any hair.

What is going on with our country???



Philando Castile, 32
Alton Sterling, 37
DPD Senior Cpl. Lorne Ahrens, 48
DPD Officer Michael Krol, 40,
DPD Sgt. Michael Smith, 55,
DART Officer Brent Thompson, 43
DPD Officer Patrick Zamarripa, 32

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what is going on in our country. But thanks again for a 3-minute respite from this crazy world via Grace. La Vie En Rose, indeed. Thinking of you.

    Hugs from Austin,
    The Husbands

    ReplyDelete